Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I have a voice

I spoke briefly at the LIONS MD19 Zone C-4 District Meeting last Thursday about my effort to provide social media to charities and those being charitable in the community by writing about them everyday this year to direct traffic to their websites. That blog is called Kitsap Cares about Charity 365. I also provide a dozen positive community Facebook pages for nonprofits to have a voice. I have spoken to over 600 people this year in person and over 200,000 people online every week.
 
This coming March 13-14th is the 67th LIONS District 19 Convention in Tacoma and I have to give a 5 minute speech on what the Poulsbo LIONS has done this past year in regard to service for the community. I am getting over a cold and have no voice and I woke up thinking what if I don't have a VOICE on Friday. But I fought back that fear as what I have to say is too important, I have to have a VOICE!

I thought about how even without a physical voice, on the internet I have a voice that can speak loud and clear. I can speak for those that can't, those that are hidden in the shadows, those that lost their way and need our help.

I thought about the speech Helen Keller gave at the 1925 LIONS convention in Chicago that gave the LIONS the mandate to be "knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness". Helen Keller always had a voice she just had to figure out how to get it out. She could have given up being deaf and dumb as they said in those days. I thought if Helen Keller can speak, than nothing should stop me. I would rather record my computer speaking my speech or my Smartphone reading it at the conference then to let something like losing my voice keep me from having a VOICE. Don't let obstacles get in your way of what you have to say. It didn't stop Helen Keller.

My name is Ken Rury and I'm going to let it ROARrrr at the convention.

Starting to garden

Clean laundry day is this Wednesday!

Help with getting clean laundry is here for the unhoused and low-income individuals in North Kitsap. This Wednesday, April 17, Poulsbo Lions...